May 25 Is Wine Day
Wine grapes have been cultivated for at least 2,000 years. That’s a long time! However, celebrating the grape in the online world only started a decade or so. There are at least 17 national wine days identified by the National Day Calendar and we don’t want anyone to miss on a reason to pop that cork on your favorite wine day.
On May 25th each year, wine lovers everywhere pour a glass of their favorite wine to celebrate National Wine Day. It is a day to appreciate wine and the science and art behind oenology.
Interesting Facts About Wine
- Grapes are the most planted fruit all over the world.
- There are 10,000 varieties of wine grapes existing worldwide.
- You need to drink 7 glasses of orange juice or 20 glasses of apple juice in order to get the same amount of antioxidants in wine.
- Apparently, some people have a "fear of wine," and it's called oenophobia.
- During the early Roman times, it was forbidden for women to drink wine. Wives who were caught by their husbands drinking wine could be killed if caught in the act.
- The world's oldest wine bottle is believed to date back to the year 325. It was found near the town of Speyer, Germany, in 1867.
On this Wine Day, we invite you to open a bottle of a very special Hokkaido Zweigelt!
Zweigelt is an Austrian crossbred grape variety (St. Laurent x Blaufränkisch), suitable for growing in the Hokkaido climate and producing red wines with firm colour, tannins and spicy aromas. The dry taste with soft astringency and fruitiness goes well with meat dishes such as beef, lamb and Ezo deer, as well as fish dishes such as eel and yellowtail.
茨威格特是奥地利杂交葡萄品种(St. Laurent x Blaufränkisch)，北海道的气候非常适合种植，其具有生产的红葡萄酒坚实的颜色，单宁和刺激的香气。北海道茨威格特葡萄酒口感干爽，涩味柔和，果香浓郁，适合搭配牛肉、羊肉、鹿肉等肉类菜肴，以及鳗鱼、黄尾鱼等鱼类菜肴。
HOKKAIDO ZWEIGELT is a GI Hokkaido certified wine. The GI Hokkaido label is restricted to wines made entirely on the island from locally grown grapes. They also need to pass quality screening standards for taste and aroma so you can expect only the highest quality!